Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Homemade "Jello"


I answer so many questions on Facebook about recipes, traditional foods, etc.  I need to blog more, so I have a place to send people!  Today we were discussing homemade "Jello".  Most children love Jello.  I think of the bright green, red, even blue Jello we ate as children.  But have you taken a second to look at the ingredients on the commonly used boxes of Jello?  You'll see artificial food coloring, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavorings, preservatives, and/or corn syrup.  Gelatin, which is the main ingredient in Jello and can be purchased in an unflavored/unsweetened form at your favorite grocery store, is also an animal by-product.  It is made from the bones and hides of animals-unhealthy animals that are raised in factory farms.

Gelatin itself can have many health benefits. It can help heal the gut.  It strengthens hair and nails and it is known to help stiff or sore joints.  It can also provide a protein boost when eaten with other foods.

The way to receive the health benefits of gelatin without exposing yourself to the unhealthy Jello ingredients above, is of course to make your own!

I purchase Great Lakes Unflavored Kosher Gelatin from Amazon.  Great Lakes Gelatin is from grass fed animals that are assured to be free of antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, or herbicides.  I calculated the price to be only 34 cents more than the unflavored gelatin at my local grocery store and the two containers sold on Amazon will make 64-108 batches of Jello.

Here is our recipe.

1 3/4 cup cold juice (freshly squeezed fruit is best- apple, grape and orange are our favorites)
1/4 cup hot (not quite boiling juice)
Honey as desired
Fresh or frozen fruit (berries, peaches, oranges slices)
Shredded coconut (optional)
1-2 Tablespoons of gelatin (if you want a thicker Jello, use more)

Mix gelatin in the cold juice and let soften while heating the remaining juice in a pan.  Mix hot and cold liquids until all gelatin is dissolved.  Add fruit and coconut.  Pour into a mold or casserole dish and refrigerate until firm.

2 comments:

  1. So glad for your post! A couple of years ago, I made a pomegranate jello (using Knox unflavored) and we all loved it. I think it was a Martha Stewart Recipe. Why haven't I made it again? I can't wait to try the Great Lakes jello. What about the addition of sour cream for the creamier jello--can you suggest a version of that?
    I am looking forward to your next post on traditional foods:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever tried sour cream in our jello. That might be good. We make yogurt cheese by draining our yogurt. I wonder if I could add that. I'll have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete