Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gluten free homemade macaroni and cheese

Almost every child loves macaroni and cheese.  It was the first thing I learned to make.  I remember coming home from high school almost every day and making box after box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  Those little bright orange, salty noodles would just slide down my throat...

We try to eat few grains in our house, but sometimes it is nice to have a meal that will only bring smiles from our children.  We replace pasta made from wheat flour with rice pasta.  I have tried quite a few different kinds of rice noodles and was pretty disappointed because they were very mushy.  Then I found Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta.  Most people can't even tell it is different.  I buy it from our co-op in 10 pound packages.

Macaroni and Cheese
1 pound rice noodles
1/8 cup butter
8 oz cheddar cheese (grated or cut into small pieces)
1 cup of milk
1 Tablespoon of arrowroot powder (optional but it makes a thicker sauce)
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 package of frozen spinach (optional)
Cook noodles according to package directions.  Steam spinach.  Place butter, cheese, milk, arrowroot powder, and pepper in a sauce pan and stir constantly over medium heat until cheese had melted and sauce has thickened.  Combine noodles, spinach, and sauce.

I have to say, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese doesn't even compare!

1 comment: